Re: Idea Feedback: psql \h misses -> Offers Links? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Idea Feedback: psql \h misses -> Offers Links?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 18.04.24 23:29, Kirk Wolak wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 18, 2024 at 2:37 PM Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org
> <mailto:peter@eisentraut.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 17.04.24 19:47, Kirk Wolak wrote:
>      > *Example:*
>      > \h current_setting
>      > No help available for "current_setting".
>      > Try \h with no arguments to see available help.
>      >
>      >
>     https://www.postgresql.org/search/?u=%2Fdocs%2F16%2F&q=current_setting
<https://www.postgresql.org/search/?u=%2Fdocs%2F16%2F&q=current_setting>
>      >
>     <https://www.postgresql.org/search/?u=%2Fdocs%2F16%2F&q=current_setting
<https://www.postgresql.org/search/?u=%2Fdocs%2F16%2F&q=current_setting>>

>     One problem is that this search URL does not actually produce any
>     useful
>     information about current_setting.
>
> I see what you mean, but doesn't that imply our web search feature is
> weak?  That's the full name of an existing function, and it's in the
> index. But it cannot be found if searched from the website?

Maybe it's weak, or maybe we are using it wrong, I don't know.

\h has always been (a) local help, and (b) help specifically about SQL
commands.  If we are going to vastly expand the scope, we need to think
it through more thoroughly.  I could see some kind of \onlinehelp
command, or maybe even redesigning \h altogether.

Also, as you say, the function is in the documentation index, so there
should be a deterministic way to go directly to exactly the target
destination.  Maybe the full-text search functionality of the web site
is the wrong interface for that.