Re: Proposal: OID wraparound: summary and proposal - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Proposal: OID wraparound: summary and proposal
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Neil Tiffin <ntiffin@earthlink.net> writes:
> I have not even considered multiple database servers running
> different database, which is our design goal.  In this case we would
> like to have a slimmed down (and blazingly fast) PostgreSQL server in
> which we manage the uid in our middleware.  This is because the uid
> must be unique accross all servers and database vendors.

Given those requirements, it seems like your UID *must* be an
application-defined column; there's no way you'll get a bunch of
different database vendors to all sign on to your approach to UIDs.

So in reality, I think the feature you want is precisely to be able
to suppress Postgres' automatic OID generation on your table(s), since
it's of no value to you.  The number of cycles saved per insert isn't
going to be all that large, but they'll add up...