Re: Building from git source on ubuntu with gssapi - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Building from git source on ubuntu with gssapi
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I can't ./configure --with-gssapi from git on ubuntu 14.04.3 because:
> configure: error: gssapi.h header file is required for GSSAPI

> If I download the distribution-specific 9.3 source with apt, I find
> their secret sauce to make it work:
> ./debian/rules:LDFLAGS+= -Wl,--as-needed -L/usr/lib/mit-krb5
> -L/usr/lib/$(DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH)/mit-krb5
> ./debian/rules:CFLAGS+= -fPIC -pie -I/usr/include/mit-krb5

> Usually the packagers' secret sauce is there to change the
> installation locations and defaults and such, not to allow it to
> configure and compile at all.

Huh?  Platform-specific additions to -I and -L paths are quite common,
especially on platforms that don't have a policy of forcing installation
directly into /usr/include and /usr/lib whenever possible.

> Is there something we can and should do to make this compile directly
> out of git?

Don't think so.  It's up to the caller of configure to tell us where
to look, if there are places that aren't in the compiler's default
search paths.  If we tried to guess such paths, we'd end up destabilizing
about as many builds as we fixed.