Re: CREATE INDEX and HOT - revised design - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Florian G. Pflug
Subject Re: CREATE INDEX and HOT - revised design
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> ISTM that the run-another-transaction-afterwards idea is the only one
>> that does everything I think we need. I really do wish we could put in a
>> wait, like CIC, but I just think it will break existing programs.
>
> Actually, there's a showstopper objection to that: plain CREATE INDEX
> has to be able to run within a larger transaction.  (To do otherwise
> breaks "pg_dump --single-transaction", just for starters.)  This means
> it can *not* commit partway through.

I believe the original idea was to invent some kind of "on commit run
this transaction" hook - similar to how files are deleted on commit,
I think. At least I understood the "Run another transaction on commit"
that way...

greetings, Florian Pflug