Re: CREATE INDEX and HOT - revised design - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: CREATE INDEX and HOT - revised design
Date
Re: CREATE INDEX and HOT - revised design  ("Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
"Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> ISTM that the run-another-transaction-afterwards idea is the only one
> that does everything I think we need. I really do wish we could put in a
> wait, like CIC, but I just think it will break existing programs.

Actually, there's a showstopper objection to that: plain CREATE INDEX
has to be able to run within a larger transaction.  (To do otherwise
breaks "pg_dump --single-transaction", just for starters.)  This means
it can *not* commit partway through.

Back to the drawing board :-(