Re: Allow an alias for the target table in UPDATE/DELETE - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Allow an alias for the target table in UPDATE/DELETE
Date
List pgsql-patches
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> From looking at SQL2003, it seems to me that this syntax is actually
> specified by the standard:

> <update statement: searched> ::=
>     UPDATE <target table> [ [ AS ] <correlation name> ]
>     SET <set clause list>
>     [ WHERE <search condition> ]

> <delete statement: searched> ::=
>     DELETE FROM <target table> [ [ AS ] <correlation name> ]
>     [ WHERE <search condition> ]

Interesting, because the AS clause is most definitely *not* in
SQL92 or SQL99.

I'm all for this change, in any case, but it's interesting to notice
that the SQL committee actually does respond to the masses ...

            regards, tom lane