Re: CREATE INDEX and HOT - revised design - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Florian G. Pflug
Subject Re: CREATE INDEX and HOT - revised design
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Pavan Deolasee wrote:
> On 3/21/07, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 3/21/07, Pavan Deolasee <pavan.deolasee@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > It seems much simpler to me do something like this. But important
>> > question is whether the restriction that CREATE INDEX can not
>> > be run in a transaction block is acceptable ?
>>
>> yikes -- this is huge, huge price to pay, IMHO.  Think about DDL that
>> implies index creation such as adding unique constraint to a table,
>> many postgresql users (including me) take advantage of that in update
>> systems to production databases.
>>
> I didn't understand that quite well. How does it help to run CREATE
> INDEX inside a transaction ?
The problem is not so much CREATE INDEX per se, but other DDL commands
that implicitly create an index, for example adding a PRIMARY KEY to a
table.

Some applications that I have written would fail badly if CREATE INDEX
was disallowed inside a transaction - mostly, because they use plpgsql
functions to manipulate database objects, and disallowing CREATE INDEX
inside a transaction presumably means disallowing it from inside
stored procedures.

greetings, Florian Pflug