Re: CREATE INDEX and HOT - revised design - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavan Deolasee
Subject Re: CREATE INDEX and HOT - revised design
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 3/21/07, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

Effectively, my idea is not to chill/break the HOT chains during index
creation, but rather to abandon them and wait for VACUUM to clean them
up.

My idea is much closer to the idea of a bit per index on every tuple,
except the tuple xmax and pg_index xid replace them.

Regarding waiting inside CREATE INDEX for transactions started
before us doesn't seem like a big problem to me. But may be I am
mistaken.

Given a choice I won't complicate the fetch/update logic more. I would
rather fix the problem at hand, if I can. But I would go by the
community agreement on this issue since I don't have a clear
answer.

Also, I am wondering whether the information that which index is used to
fetch a tuple is always available. I haven't checked, but do we have that
information in lossy bitmap heapscan ?

Thanks,
Pavan

--