Re: LISTEN/NOTIFY and python - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tino Wildenhain
Subject Re: LISTEN/NOTIFY and python
Date
List pgsql-general
John D. Burger schrieb:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> The standard approach when using libpq directly is to get the file
>> descriptor number of the backend connection with PQsocket(), then
>> include that in the set of FDs that the client app's idle loop
>> select()s or poll()s on.
>
> And Tino Wildenhain, in off-list mail, described getting the socket-fd
> from the PyGreSQL connection object and doing something analogous.
>
> It turns out that Python's listen() takes ints =or= objects with a
> fileno() method, whence it gets the int, and PyGreSQL's connection

Well actually fileno() just returns an int and thats what the syscalls
expect as filehandle. Sockets have that method too. And the PyGreSQL
connection has a (tcp-) socket under the hood.

> objects qualify.  So I can do this:
>
>   import pg, select
>
>   con = pg.connect(...)
>   con.query("listen foo")
>
>   while True:
>     select.select([con], [], [])  # Wait for it ...
>     print con.getnotify()
>
> I wish I could do this with the more "standard" pgdb module, but, then
> again, LISTEN/NOTIFY aren't standard.  Thanks, Tino and Tom, for the
> pointers toward this solution.

Ah, here is the summery of my solution as promised:

import select
from pyPgSQL import PgSQL

db=PgSQL.connect( ... )

cur=db.cursor()
cur.execute("LISTEN baskets") # if baskets is the table name
db.commit()

while True:
     rlist,wlist,xlist=select.select([db.conn.socket],[],[],20*60)
     if rlist:
         if db.conn.socket in rlist:
             db.conn.consumeInput() # <- thats the important bit
             n=db.conn.notifies()
             if n:
                print "Backend with pid %s asks for us." % n.be_pid
                ... do something usefull ...

HTH.
Tino