Re: Planner tuning - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alban Hertroys
Subject Re: Planner tuning
Date
List pgsql-general
Dmitry Koterov wrote:
> I don't know exactly is it your case, but sometimes
>
> SET enable_sort = off;
>
> speeds up some queries by the factor of hundred. But in some cases this
> command slows down operations, so I TEMPORARILY switch enable_sort on and
> off for some queries. It affects the query plan greatly.

As you may have noticed, there's no sort in my query plan ;)

Seriously, I do not intend to use options like these in production
queries. They're not meant to be used like that.

It usually means you're trying to do something more complicated than
necessary - I achieved improved results by cleaning up my design,
removing hacks that appeared useful while we were still using PG 7.4.

--
Alban Hertroys
alban@magproductions.nl

magproductions b.v.