Re: cannot get build (initdb) to work after trying for a week - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: cannot get build (initdb) to work after trying for a week
Date
List pgsql-general
Eric wrote:
> I am getting truly desperate!  I am trying to build any version of
> Postgres on Windows from source.  First experience with Postgres
> source.  I have struggled for days trying to solve a problem. Would be
> willing to pay for the solution!!!
>
> The following error occurred when issuing a vanilla initdb command on
> my Windows system.
>
> FATAL:  could not select a suitable default timezone
> DETAIL:  It appears that your GMT time zone uses leap seconds.
> PostgreSQL does not support leap seconds.
>
> I built this from 8.1.8 source under msys/mingw.  Also tried 8.2.2.
> Everything builds fine but initdb always reports the above error and
> quits.

This could happen if the timezone files aren't properly installed. This
should normally happen when you do "make install", but verify that they
are actually present (in share/timezone).

> I also had to create a typedef int ssize_t in a couple of files to get
> the compile finished.  Maybe this is related.  Other than that, have
> not touched any code.

I don't think that's related, but it's a clear indicator that something
in your environment is broken. Because it should build without any such
changes.

//Magnus