Re: cannot get build (initdb) to work after trying for a week - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Eric
Subject Re: cannot get build (initdb) to work after trying for a week
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks for responding Magnus.

I did reinstall both msys and mingw, as well as blow away the source
and start over from scratch.  Maybe there is a stray file or directory
that's not getting deleted on the clean.  Also, does clean just clean
up the compile environment, or does it also clean up the install?  I
did manually remove directories too but I suppose I could have missed
something.

Out of desperation, I decided to try everything on my wife's mac,
remembering that os x is unix.  Didn't take long at all to download
all the dev tools I needed, get a clean compile and get things running
there.

Can't remember if it was  in this forum, but a few people asked why I
was downloading source and not binary - I am experimenting with a
different indexing (multi-dimensional) method.  I looked hard at GiST,
but it doesn't look like GiST supports multi-dimensional indexing
methods unless all the dimensions are in a single column.  I need to
see each column in the index before making a decision about search
paths to take, branches to follow, etc.  GiST appears to support one
column at a time - i.e. if my index is lastname, firstname, then take
a look at lastname, and if that's a tie, then look at firstname.  But
it won't let you look at lastname and firstname at the same time, then
make decisions.  Other than that, looks like an outstanding feature.

Finally, as a newcomer to PG, I'm in search of general development
resources.  Any good places to go besides the PG documentation and the
pgsql newsgroups?

Regards, Eric