Re: pg_dumpall and version confusion - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tony Caduto
Subject Re: pg_dumpall and version confusion
Date
List pgsql-general
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> other deficiencies let's not add to complexity by having an
> --output-version.
>
> If you want that, create a wrapper program that calls to different
> statically compiled versions of pg_dump.
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

> I am afraid that I have to agree with Tom here. Pg_dump has plenty of

Well for me that would not be a option.  I use object pascal and can't
statically link C code into my apps.  Doing the statically linked thing
would also bloat any resulting binary.

I don't think the whole --output-version thing would be a good idea
either, but it would be a simple matter to add some logic for the
GRANT ON SEQUENCE, which seems to be the only thing that is really
causing problems at least between 8.1 and 8.2.

The old way of granting permissions on sequences still works on 8.2
right?  If so then maybe a switch to disable GRANT ON SEQUENCE would do
the trick.

Later,

--
Tony Caduto