Re: Practical question. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Practical question.
Date
List pgsql-general
louis gonzales wrote:
> Actually, there will be creation of 2 new tables for each insert on
> 'primary' table, so for 10K records, we would have 20K tables.  Those
> tables each will never grow more than a few records each.
>
> Is it better to have 1 monolithic table and have to search it, or small
> individual tables but many of them?

20k tables sounds insane. I am not sure why you wouldn't want just one
table. I mean, you are saying a *few* records, so you are talking what
100k records in a single table instead?

100k is nothing.

Joshua D. Drake

Joshua D. Drake

> Ron Johnson wrote:

> So if you insert 10,000 records into T, you then have 10,000 new tables?

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

             http://www.commandprompt.com/