Debugging Server Code - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kenneth Downs
Subject Debugging Server Code
Date
Re: Debugging Server Code  ("Adam Rich" <adam.r@sbcglobal.net>)
List pgsql-general
I'm guessing that there is no step-wise debugger for pgsql.  If there
is, then glory be and call me a dummy for not R'ing TFM.

In fact, I've never heard of a step-wise debugger for any DB server, am
I wrong?

As I grovel through some plPerl code in a statement level trigger that
depends on an array of variables, I wonder if the lack of such a
debugger can be considered one of the biggest impediments to larger
adoption of server-side code.  I don't mean to be facetious here, how
many serious and powerful programmers do you know who don't depend
heavily on a good debugger to step through the code and find the nasty
parts?  Anyway, just a thought.

We now return to our regularly scheduled mailing list...