Re: Daylight Saving Time question PostgreSQL 8.1.4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zdenek Kotala
Subject Re: Daylight Saving Time question PostgreSQL 8.1.4
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> Michael,
>>> I'm also curious about the rationale to maintain a separate timezone
>>> data files for machines that supply them.
>
>> It's because we found that we couldn't ensure consistency between operating
>> systems while relying on OS files.
>
> Partly that, and partly that we needed operations that the standard C
> library doesn't supply.  Hence we had to have direct access to the
> timezone database, and since different systems have different
> representations of timezone data, we couldn't really rely on the
> system's data.
>
> You can try the symlink game if you want, but it'll be on your own head
> whether it works or not.  (For the record, I am hoping to do exactly
> that in future releases for Red Hat ... but in that context I know what
> the system's timezone code is.  I'm less sure that I know what Apple
> is using.)

I have following idea:

1) add guc varibale which enable usage of OS time zone files

2) add extra parameters into ./configure script which enable OS TZ
support in the code and get path to OS TZ files.

It probably will require some OS specific code for reading and
translation TZ file format.
   What do you mean about it?
    Thanks Zdenek