CLUSTER and MVCC - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject CLUSTER and MVCC
Date
Re: CLUSTER and MVCC  (Hannu Krosing <hannu@skype.net>)
Re: CLUSTER and MVCC  ("Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: CLUSTER and MVCC  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Is there a particular reason why CLUSTER isn't MVCC-safe? It seems to me
that it would be trivial to fix, by using SnapshotAny instead of
SnapshotNow, and not overwriting the xmin/xmax with the xid of the
cluster command.

I feel that I must missing something, or someone would've already fixed
it a long time ago...

Csaba, you mentioned recently
(http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-03/msg00027.php) that
you're actually using the MVCC-violation to clean up tables during a
backup. Can you tell us a bit more about that? Would you be upset if we
shut that backdoor?

In any case, the MVCC-violation needs to be documented. I'll send a doc
patch to pgsql-patches shortly.