Re: supporting 2000 simultaneous connections. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: supporting 2000 simultaneous connections.
Date
List pgsql-general
Bill Moran wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I am working on a web application where the front end is struts framework
>> and back end is PgSQL 7.4.

*cough*, you are going to greatly decrease your ability to scale if you
are running anything less than 8.1.

> Performance _will_ degrade if all of those connections are busy at once, but
> that's going to happen with any shared system.  The disk can only read from
> one area at a time, and other system resources will be contended for as well.

7.4 doesn't scale to what he wants, even on big hardware.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/