Re: increasing database connections - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: increasing database connections
Date
Re: increasing database connections  (Ron <rjpeace@earthlink.net>)
List pgsql-performance
Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> On 3/1/07, Shiva Sarna <shivasarna@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
>> I am sorry if it is a repeat question but I want to know if database
>> performance will decrease if I increase the max-connections to 2000. At
>> present it is 100.
>
> Most certainly.  Adding connections over 200 will degrade performance
> dramatically.  You should look into pgpool or connection pooling from
> the application.

huh? That is certainly not my experience. I have systems that show no
depreciable performance hit on even 1000+ connections. To be fair to the
discussion, these are on systems with 4+ cores. Usually 8+ and
significant ram 16/32 gig fo ram.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/