Re: tsearch2: word position - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Markus Schiltknecht
Subject Re: tsearch2: word position
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

Teodor Sigaev wrote:
>> I'm fiddling with to_tsvector() and parse() from tsearch2, trying to
>> get the word position from those functions. I'd like to use the
>> tsearch2 parser and stemmer, but I need to know the exact position of
>> the word as well as the original, unstemmed word.
>
> It's not supposed usage... Why do you need that?

Counter question: what's the supposed usage of the word number? Why
would anyone be interested in that? You always need to parse the text
yourself, to be able to get any use from the word number.

to_tsvector() could as well return the character number or a byte
pointer, I could see advantages for both. But the word number makes
little sense to me.

Regards

Markus