Re: New feature request: FlashBack Query - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Florian G. Pflug
Subject Re: New feature request: FlashBack Query
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Florian G. Pflug wrote:
>
>> However, I just realized that doing this is much harder than I initially
>> thought, because catalog access always happens with SnapshotNow, and
>> e.g. "drop table" deletes datafiles at commit time, and not during vacuum.
>
> Not to mention the likenesses of CLUSTER and TRUNCATE, which would need
> to be taught how to keep the old datafiles for an additional week/hour.
>
> What I don't understand is why people isn't working in improving
> contrib/spi/timetravel.

Because it serves different usecase I think - flashback is an
administrative tool, not something you design your application around.
Flashback is more similar to PITR recovery than to contrib/spi/timetravel.

greetings, Florian Pflug