Re: automatic password for pg_dump to be used for a batch file in vb6 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: automatic password for pg_dump to be used for a batch file in vb6
Date
List pgsql-hackers
oliver rombaoa wrote:
> i want to add database backup to my program i developed in visual basic 6, of course i can save the syntax for
pg_dumpin a batch file and call it inside vb6 via "shell", but my problem is that the batch file executes but stops to
promptfor a password. how can i supply a password to it automatically or i mean within visual basic 6 so that no user
interactionis needed, i don't mind about the security since only the administrator has access for the program. please,
anyhelp will be greatly appreciated. thank you.

1. pgsql-hackers is not really the right list to ask this question. In
future, please ask usage question on pgsql-general
2. have your vb program write out a pgpass file, if necessary also
setting up the PGPASSFILE environment setting in the .bat file to point
to it.
2-a. alternatively, use some auth method that does not require use of
passwords.

cheers

andrew