Re: "anyelement2" pseudotype - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Dunstan
Subject Re: "anyelement2" pseudotype
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Dunstan wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> As for actually adding it, grep for all references to ANYELEMENT and add
>> code accordingly; shouldn't be that hard.  Note you'd need to add an
>> anyarray2 at the same time for things to keep working sanely.
>
> The enum patch [1] does exactly this with an ANYENUM pseudo-type. It
> should provide a pretty good overview of what will be required.

Whoops. I just had a look at the mail that Matt referenced at the top of
this thread. An anyelement2 would require a bit more than what anyenum
does, as the type-matching code that ensures that all generic args are
of the same type would have to be changed, unlike anyenum. Hope I didn't
lead you down the wrong path, Matt. OTOH, following the enum patch
should land you in roughly the right areas, and you'd still need to add
ANYELEMENT2 references in all the places that I had to add ANYENUM as well.

Cheers

Tom