Re: Stored Procedure examples - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Stored Procedure examples
Date
List pgsql-general
Walter Vaughan wrote:
> Vladimir Zelinski wrote:
>
>> I'm struggling to create a stored procedure. I
>> searched on Internet for several hours trying to find
>> a simple example, but didn't find anything. I saw
>> dozens of questions how to create a procedure without
>> any responses. I searched on postgreSql site and found
>> a topic "Stored Procedure Example". But actually, they
>> showed how to write a function on postgreSql database.
>
> This may not help, but I noticed using pgAdminIII, you can create a
> procedure or a function, but they seem to have the same creation
> interface and use the same icon.
>
> Did you try using pgAdminIII to create your procedure and see if it
> works any different a creating an identical function?

pgAdmin defines a stored procedure as:

- A function on EnterpriseDB 8.0 or above, written in edbspl.

or

- A function written in EnterpriseDB or PostgreSQL 8.1 or above with OUT
or INOUT arguments.

The separation (in pgAdmin) is historic, and comes from EnterpriseDB
which treats the two object types more distinctly for Oracle
compatibility (and had SPs before PostgreSQL).

Regards, Dave.