Cursor timeout in postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tim Tassonis
Subject Cursor timeout in postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all

When examining strange behaviour in one of my programs I found out that
I must have somehow gotten into a timeout situation when fetching rows
from a cursor. My program read the first row, did some stuff for six
minutes and then tried to fetch the second row, which failed. The
connection however was still alive and further database access in the
program worked m'kay.

While I think the responsible component made a good decision to timeout
after 5 minutes of inactivity, I still wonder who bit me.

My program was written in php, using the odbc interface and the odbc
driver from postgres compiled against 8.1.5 libpg, accessing a 8.1.5
database (all on the same machine, on linux 32bit). I have not perfomed
any relevant tweaking in the config files (apart from php.ini).

Has anybody got the quick answer?

Tim