Re: accidentally deleted user --> postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shane Ambler
Subject Re: accidentally deleted user --> postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
gf wrote:
> Hello all,
> I was recently installing pg on a virtual machine. I also had pg installed
> and working on my local machine.
> On the vm I was having some issues installing a Drupal db so in searching
> for a solution I found a recommendation of the following:
> net user postgres /delete
> and then reinstall pg.

You will find that this is a standard system userid that was removed and
is normally setup/created when installing postgresql. You will need to
either reinstall postgresql on your local system or recreate the
postgres user on your local system (not your vm)

Part of the security of postgresql is that the user running the server
itself has limited privileges so that the database data is all that it
can access. Without this user account it will not run, if you create the
userid manually make sure it is not a member of the admin group and
check that the postgresql service is started with that userid.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL@007Marketing.com

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz