Re: [pgsql-patches] Patch to avoid gprof profilingoverwrites - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: [pgsql-patches] Patch to avoid gprof profilingoverwrites
Date
List pgsql-patches
Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> korryd@enterprisedb.com wrote:
>>> The name for the define variable could perhaps be better - feels
>>> silly adding -DLINUX_PROFILE on Freebsd! (maybe just PROFILE or
>>> GPROF_PROFILE?).
>>
>> That wasn't my choice, there is other code elsewhere that depends on
>> that symbol, I just added a little bit more.
>>

> Right - but LINUX_PROFILE was added to correct Linux specific oddities
> with the time counter accumulation, whereas your patch is not Linux
> specific at all. So I think a more representative symbol is required.

In fact - thinking about this a bit more, probably a construction like:

#if defined(LINUX_PROFILE) || defined(PROFILE)

or similar would work - because I think those of us not on Linux do
*not* want to define LINUX_PROFILE, as our timer accumulation for forked
process works fine as it is...but we don't want to make Linux guys have
to define LINUX_PROFILE *and* PROFILE...