Re: Allow dumping of roles or tablespaces - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Allow dumping of roles or tablespaces
Date
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org> writes:
>
>> pg_dumpall -g  -- Dump roles and tablespaces per current behaviour
>> pg_dumpall -gr -- Dump roles only (or users and groups)
>> pg_dumpall -gt -- Dump tablespaces only
>>

> This seems a bit ugly, mainly because (1) it doesn't have a natural
> translation to long-form switches, and (2) it screws up the usual
> habit of merging multiple single-letter switches into one argument.
> Perhaps something like
>
>     --roles-only
>     --tablespaces-only
>     --globals-only
>
> Not sure if there are free single-letter codes for the first two,
> but on the whole I'm more interested in having sane long-form names
> than sane short ones ...

I agree. In fact, as I understand the patch it would also allow "-g r"
and "-g t", and that seems ugly too.

We don't have to have a short form for every long option - e.g. initdb
has several like --no-locale for which there is no corresponding short
form. I suggest we make the new options long form only, along the lines
Tom suggests.

cheers

andrew