Re: ERROR: invalid memory alloc request size, and others - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jonathan Hedstrom
Subject Re: ERROR: invalid memory alloc request size, and others
Date
Re: ERROR: invalid memory alloc request size, and others  (Andrew Kroeger <andrew@sprocks.gotdns.com>)
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> writes:
>
>> Also, schedule some maintenance window for your server to run memtest86
>> and possibly something to check for bad blocks on your drives.
>>

> +1 ... I have not seen any instance of "invalid page header" that could
> be traced to a Postgres bug.  The cases I've been able to study all
> seemed to involve either flaky hardware or kernel-level bugs (such as
> dumping a fragment of some unrelated file into a Postgres table :-()
>
>             regards, tom lane

Since it sounds like this is either a hardware or a kernel issue, we're
wondering if our downtime would be better spent rebooting to the
standard FC6 kernel, or trying some of the aforementioned hardware tests...

We are running a xen kernel:   2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen

and getting these kernel errors in our logs:

Jan  7 18:51:23 ws116 kernel: SKB BUG: Invalid truesize (4012)
len=16384, sizeof(sk_buff)=172
Jan  7 18:51:23 ws116 kernel: SKB BUG: Invalid truesize (4012)
len=16384, sizeof(sk_buff)=172
Jan  9 08:52:12 ws116 kernel: SKB BUG: Invalid truesize (4012)
len=16384, sizeof(sk_buff)=172
Jan  9 13:07:35 ws116 kernel: SKB BUG: Invalid truesize (4012)
len=16384, sizeof(sk_buff)=172

(The memory alloc error first occured early in the morning on the 8th).

Thanks,
Jonathan