Re: fix broken regression tests - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: fix broken regression tests
Date
Re: fix broken regression tests
List pgsql-patches
Gavin Sherry <swm@linuxworld.com.au> writes:
> On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Ugh, that's bad news.  Can we lobby the bison folks to revert this
>> random rewording of an error message?  Or at least make it configurable,
>> so that we can avoid exposing any change to our users?

> The change doesn't seem to be for trivial reasons. Log message for
> revision 1.35 of data/yacc.c says:
> "parse error" -> "syntax error" for POSIX compatibility.

Grumble.  That probably means they'll reject any complaints about it.

My inclination at this point is to do sed 's/syntax error/parse error/'
in our grammar build rules so as to maintain backwards compatibility.

Plan B would be to go the other way --- sed 's/parse error/syntax error/'
--- so as to get consistent results from all post-1.50 Bisons.  However
I am concerned that this will needlessly break client-side code.
(If you grep for 'parse error' in our sources you will find it a lot
more places than just the regression tests Neil originally fingered;
and that's not even counting the code that now lives on gborg.)

Comments?

            regards, tom lane