Re: Development of cross-platform GUI for Open Source DBs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John McCawley
Subject Re: Development of cross-platform GUI for Open Source DBs
Date
List pgsql-general
Well, to be fair, I was using fairly low-level functionality.  If you
look at the screenshot from my app, I am just using the raw window class
and handling all of the dragging etc. manually.  In addition, my foreign
key drawing is handled by directly painting on the background, and my
own click and drag handling, so it is pretty sensitive to nuanced
differences in behaviors in the platforms.  It is worth noting, however,
that the QT4 version, which is implemented very similarly, works fine
(although I am allowing QT to handle window dragging and resizing).

In wxWidgets, all of my dragging, window placement, foreign key drawing,
etc. were so hopelessly broken in windows that the app was completely
unusable...It was even difficult to tell what was supposed to be going
on.  I dug around in the code quite a bit, but the low-level behaviors I
was getting in Windows were so different than in wxGTK that I just
decided that my approach was flawed.

Even in QT4 I am having to revise my approach.  I am currently using an
MDI window interface for everything, and doing my foreign key drawing
low-level as I was before.  I plan on moving to the (brand new) QT4
canvas widget, which is intended for user-created window behaviors like
this.  Sometimes I think that I would have been better off rendering the
whole UI in OpenGL or something :P