Re: which version? old user coming back.... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: which version? old user coming back....
Date
List pgsql-general
developer@wexwarez.com wrote:
>>> ...Should I expect
>>> any problems with this even on the old 2.4 kernel?
>>
>> I'd advise you to be using a 2.6 kernel at this point, too.
>>
> ... I assume 8 will still work on 2.4 though.

IIRC, you need a reasonably modern 2.6 kernel (early 2005)
if you want fsync() to flush the write caches on hard
disks (IDE and SATA and SCSI included).  The Linux SATA
driver author explains here:
 http://hardware.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=149349&cid=12519114

Anyone know if those write barrier patches were ever
backported into the 2.4 kernels?

If not, I think you need to either use 2.6 or disable
the disk's write caches and suffer the performance hits.