Re: pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-general
garry saddington wrote:
>>   pg_dump -h /var/run/postgresql
>> See the manuals for details.
>
> Thank you, have read the manuals and the -h section says host initially
> but if you read on it tells about a leading / - that's why I missed it
> first time round -skim reading!.

It's not something I've needed myself, so I had to check. The only
difference was, I knew the psql page of the manuals *had* to cover it.

> Perhaps you may be able to me to explain this:
> I have a Zope application which speaks to postgres via psycopg. I have
> packaged all components together so that the application can be
> installed like 'single click' or thereabouts and I have tested it on
> several Linux distributions. Usually there are no problems but
> occasionally the psycopg connection will default to a different unix
> domain socket to the one that is configured in the .conf file. Nothing
> changes apart from the OS. Is there a way to make sure that on
> installation the same socket is used irrespective of OS?

Normally, you'd set the socket directory at ./configure, compile time.
This suggests to me that psycopg is using libpq to actually connect, and
   that was compiled with different settings to the server you supply.
Any reason not to use the distro's built-in package manager to fetch
server and client for you?

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd