Re: pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-general

From garry saddington
Subject Re: pg_dump
Date
Re: pg_dump  (Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 17:48 +0000, Richard Huxton wrote:
> Richard Huxton wrote:
> > garry saddington wrote:
> >> I have a server which has a socket of /var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432.
> >> This is set in the .conf file. However, when I try to run a pg_dump it
> >> complains about the server not running on /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432. Can anyone
> >> explain this behaviour because if I try the -p option to pg_dump or set
> >> the PGPORT env variable it still gives the same report?
> >
> > Could you have two installations of PG - one from source, one packaged?
>
> Oh, and the -p is useful for setting the port, not the directory for
> unix-domain sockets. I think you want to have something like:
>   pg_dump -h /var/run/postgresql
> See the manuals for details.

Thank you, have read the manuals and the -h section says host initially
but if you read on it tells about a leading / - that's why I missed it
first time round -skim reading!.
Perhaps you may be able to me to explain this:
I have a Zope application which speaks to postgres via psycopg. I have
packaged all components together so that the application can be
installed like 'single click' or thereabouts and I have tested it on
several Linux distributions. Usually there are no problems but
occasionally the psycopg connection will default to a different unix
domain socket to the one that is configured in the .conf file. Nothing
changes apart from the OS. Is there a way to make sure that on
installation the same socket is used irrespective of OS?
Kind Regards
Garry