Re: pg_hba.conf - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Allison
Subject Re: pg_hba.conf
Date
List pgsql-general
Russell Smith wrote:
> Tom Allison wrote:
>> Ran into a mystery that I can't seem to figure out....
>>

>> I want to authenticate using SSL for all external IP addresses that I
>> have in my subnet.  I also want to be able to authenticate via non-SSL
>> for localhost (not unix socket).
>>
>> I thought something like this would work:
>>
>> host       all    all    127.0.0.1/32     md5
>> hostssl    all    all    192.168.0.1/24   md5
>>
>> But I have a localhost client that can't log in because it keeps
>> trying to authenticate via SSL.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?  It seems simple enough.
> What command are you typing?
>
> #nonssl
> postgres$ psql -h localhost postgres
> #ssl
> postgres$ psql -h 192.168.1.1 postgres

psql -h localhost

My "other" client is actually postfix and that's also specified as 'localhost'.

I suppose you are going to tell me that there is a difference here?
I've always assumed you had to use network IP ranges, not DNS like names (albeit
localhost is a special case).