encoding advice requested - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rick Schumeyer
Subject encoding advice requested
Date
Re: encoding advice requested  ("Daniel Verite" <daniel@manitou-mail.org>)
List pgsql-general
My database locale is en_US, and by default my databases are UTF8.

My application code allows the user to paste text into a box and submit
it to the database.  Sometimes the pasted text contains non UTF8
characters, typically the "fancy" forms of quotes and apostrophes.  The
database does not appreciate it when the application attempts to store
these characters.

What is the best option to deal with this problem?

a) I think I could re-create the database with a LATIN1 encoding.  I'm
not real experienced with different encodings, are there any issues with
combining en_US and LATIN1?

b) I can issue a SET CLIENT_ENCODING TO 'LATIN1'; statement every time I
open a connection.  A brief test indicates this will work.

c) I can figure out how to filter the text in the application
program...but this seems like wasted work considering I could use either
option A or B.

Opinions?