Re: encoding advice requested - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: encoding advice requested
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 02:45:00PM -0500, Rick Schumeyer wrote:
> My database locale is en_US, and by default my databases are UTF8.
>
> My application code allows the user to paste text into a box and submit
> it to the database.  Sometimes the pasted text contains non UTF8
> characters, typically the "fancy" forms of quotes and apostrophes.  The
> database does not appreciate it when the application attempts to store
> these characters.

What encoding does your application use? Whatever that is, that's what
you should be using in your SET client_encoding statement. Note you can
set that variable per user also.

> b) I can issue a SET CLIENT_ENCODING TO 'LATIN1'; statement every time I
> open a connection.  A brief test indicates this will work.

This is the solution, assuming ofcourse your application is in Latin1.

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Attachment