Re: AutoVacuum on demand? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Glen Parker
Subject Re: AutoVacuum on demand?
Date
Re: AutoVacuum on demand?  ("Hitoshi Harada" <hitoshi_harada@forcia.com>)
Re: AutoVacuum on demand?  (Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma@yahoo.com>)
List pgsql-general
Richard Broersma Jr wrote:
>> Cron yes, vacuumdb no.  I would like to AUTO vacuum periodically.
>
> Just curious, what is auto_vacuum going to give that vacuumdb wont?

Hmm, I thought this would be obvious.  Vacuumdb just issues "VACUUM"
commands.

I would like the get the functionality if autovacuum so that I don't
waste cycles on tables that don't really need vacuuming.  However, we've
had bad luck letting autovacuum run on its own terms, so we've reverted
to the old nightly vacuums.

Since our nightly window of relative inactivity continues to shrink, I'd
like to vacuum/analyze only the tables that autovacuum thinks need it,
all at once, and only when I tell it to (via cron).

Make more sense?

-Glen