Re: AutoVacuum on demand? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Hitoshi Harada
Subject Re: AutoVacuum on demand?
Date
List pgsql-general
> Since our nightly window of relative inactivity continues to shrink, I'd
> like to vacuum/analyze only the tables that autovacuum thinks need it,
> all at once, and only when I tell it to (via cron).

I thought as you did and posted a thread, where I proposed a C function
smartvacuum() which you can call to vacuum with the same criteria as
autovacuum on demand.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2006-10/msg00131.php

But that was hardly accepted

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-10/msg01190.php

and the discussion are gone over there:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-10/msg01225.php

There're some cases where the whole database is not needed to be vacuumed,
right?
Anyway, though smartvacuum() was not implemented as I could find another
way, you maight be able to implement it by yourself.

Or, any way to catch row level statistic from SQL or pgsql function should
be prepared on future version??

Regards,
Hitoshi Harada