Re: converting Informix outer to Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Harco de Hilster
Subject Re: converting Informix outer to Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
I am not familiar with Informix but:

- is OUTER() a LEFT or FULL outer join?
- it is important where you put your join condition in Postgres wrt NULL
insertions of OUTER joins
E.g. Tables A(k,a) with (k1,a1), (k2, a2)  records and table B(k,b) with
(k1, b1) will result in:

A LEFT OUTER JOIN B ON a.k = b.k
AxB
k1,a1,k1,b1
k2,a2,NULL,NULL

and

A LEFT OUTER JOIN B ON a.k = b.k WHERE a.k = b.k
AxB
k1,a1,k1,b1

and

A LEFT OUTER JOIN B WHERE a.k = b.k
AxB
k1,a1,k1,b1

Since you moved your join condition from the WHERE to the ON part of the
query, you might run into this subtle difference in joining (been there,
done that ;-)).

Regards,

Harco