Re: Table design - unknown number of column - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Ollier
Subject Re: Table design - unknown number of column
Date
List pgsql-general
Alban Hertroys wrote:
> Richard Ollier wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> For a project I have a table containing products and flags.
>> The columns of this table are of 2 kinds :
>> - Not null data (id, column1, column2)
>> - Flags (100 different flags set to 1 or 0)
>>
>> Over the time the number of flag will increase from 100 to 200 or more.
>
> Having 200 flags as 200 fields... Writing queries on that is going to
> be painful.
>
> I would probably look at bitwise operations, although 200 bits is
> quite a bit larger than a bigint. Maybe an array of ints would work...
>
> I don't suppose you expect 2^200 different combinations, maybe some of
> the flags can be grouped together?
Thanks for your time !

Even if I know it won't happen,  there is 2^200 different combinations
possible as products are very different one from each others...
In the case I use an array of int, is the search fast and efficient ? I
actually never had to use an array in postgres till now..