Re: Barman versus pgBackRest - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Steele
Subject Re: Barman versus pgBackRest
Date
List pgsql-general
On 9/4/18 11:24 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 09/04/2018 07:52 AM, Ron wrote:

>>> https://pgbackrest.org/configuration.html#section-restore/option-db-include
>>>

>> Which implies that you can't do it?
>
> You can restore a single database and then issue a simple ALTER DATABASE
> command to change the DB name.

This will work, but I don't think it's what Ron is getting at.

To be clear, it is not possible to restore a database into an *existing*
cluster using pgBackRest selective restore.  This is a limitation of
PostgreSQL file-level backups.

To do what Ron wants you would need to restore it to a new cluster, then
use pg_dump to logically dump and restore it to whatever cluster you
want it in.  This still saves time since there is less to restore but is
obviously not ideal.

Regards,
--
-David