Re: Converting a timestamp to a time - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mark Morgan Lloyd
Subject Re: Converting a timestamp to a time
Date
List pgsql-general
Andreas Kretschmer schrieb:

> Mark Morgan Lloyd <markMLl.pgsql-general@telemetry.co.uk> wrote:
> > > test=# select now()::time;
> > >       now
> > > ----------------
> > >  11:16:18.22527
> > > (1 row)
> >
> > Thanks Andreas, I've ended up using CAST( ... AS TIME). I think the ::
> > notation might be fragile in this instance because of the machine-generated
> > SQL which
>
> Thats okay, because my version (the ::cast) is a PostgreSQL-feature, but
> the cast(... as ...) is more SQL-conform.

Thanks for that, feedback on "best practice" is always useful.

I must admit that the only server I've used before pg was the "SOLID Server
(using Bonzai Tree technology)", but they changed their licensing terms which
made it impractical. I looked briefly at MySQL which in those days didn't
support transactions, apart from that we decided that we didn't fancy waving the
incredibly-tacky name in front of our customers :-)

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk