Re: varchar - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alexander Staubo
Subject Re: varchar
Date
List pgsql-general
On Nov 5, 2006, at 15:32 , Alain Roger wrote:

> I would like to allow web site user to fill a field and for that i
> would need a large varchar()...maybe something around 100.000
> characters.
> i guess that VARCHAR can not hold so many character and that i
> should turn to bytea.
> Am I right or is there some other possibility ?

Not at all -- PostgreSQL can fit roughly 1 gigabyte of data in a
single varchar column. Avoid bytea for anything except purely binary
data. Keep in mind that PostgreSQL is not able to index values longer
than ~ 8 kilobytes.

Note that the "text" data type, which is unlimited in length by
definition, is usually preferred over varchar. Read more here:

   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/datatype-
character.html

Alexander.