Re: ERROR: tuple concurrently updated - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Russell Smith
Subject Re: ERROR: tuple concurrently updated
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> Russell Smith <mr-russ@pws.com.au> writes:
>
>> I got this error the other day, I was under the impression that vacuum could get a concurrently updated tuple.  I
couldbe wrong.  It is possible for somebody to quickly explain this situation?  Message follows;

>> vacuumdb: vacuuming of table "school.person" in database "sqlfilter" failed: ERROR:  tuple concurrently updated
>>

> Was this a VACUUM ANALYZE, and if so might there have been another
> ANALYZE running concurrently on that table?  If so, this is just a
> reflection of concurrent attempts to update the same pg_statistic
> row.  It's harmless since the ANALYZE that didn't fail presumably
> stored pretty nearly the same results.  There is some interlocking
> to prevent the error in CVS HEAD, though.

Thanks Tom, that makes a lot on sense.  There is an analyze in that.
Plus 8.1 autovac probably got its hand in at the same time.  I didn't
expect it to give the error about the vacuumed table if pg_statistic was
the table having the concurrent update.  I will remember that for the
future.  Thanks again for the fast and concise response.

Russell Smith