Re: ERROR: tuple concurrently updated - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: ERROR: tuple concurrently updated
Date
List pgsql-general
Russell Smith <mr-russ@pws.com.au> writes:
> I got this error the other day, I was under the impression that vacuum could get a concurrently updated tuple.  I
couldbe wrong.  It is possible for somebody to quickly explain this situation?  Message follows;

> vacuumdb: vacuuming of table "school.person" in database "sqlfilter" failed: ERROR:  tuple concurrently updated

Was this a VACUUM ANALYZE, and if so might there have been another
ANALYZE running concurrently on that table?  If so, this is just a
reflection of concurrent attempts to update the same pg_statistic
row.  It's harmless since the ANALYZE that didn't fail presumably
stored pretty nearly the same results.  There is some interlocking
to prevent the error in CVS HEAD, though.

            regards, tom lane