Re: Context switch storm - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Context switch storm
Date
List pgsql-performance
creimer@brturbo.com.br wrote:
>> If you can keep your numbers of clients down below the critical
>> level, you should find the overall workload is fine.
>
> We have at about 600 connections. Is this a case to use a connection
> pool (pg_pool) system?

Possibly - that should help. I'm assuming that most of your queries are
very short, so you could probably get that figure down a lot lower.
You'll keep the same amount of queries running through the system, just
queue them up.

> And why this happens only with 8.0 and 8.1 and not with the 7.4?

Not sure. Maybe 8.x is making more intensive use of your memory,
possibly with a change in your plans.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd