Re: Weird double single quote issue - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter
Subject Re: Weird double single quote issue
Date
List pgsql-general

2. No. In fact I can replicate the problem on the same computer using
PgAdmin (connecting as two different users)
3. I can isolate the part but it does not help much. I'm even doing
RAISE NOTICE and printing out the actual SQL statement that is being
executed... and it's IDENTICAL for both users yet returns different
values. Executing exactly the same SQL statement from commandline
produces identical results for both users.
It's really pretty hard to believe that the same function would work
differently for two different users.  I'm wondering if maybe the two
users aren't executing the same function --- perhaps not the specific
one you are looking at, but some other one it depends on.  Do the
users have different search_path settings?

I totally follow you. It really is hard to believe that the same code can be executed differently for different users. I did double-check that db is the same, and the actual proc being executed is the same. There are no significant dependencies to speak of... I did full trace (via RAISE NOTICE calls) and the SQL string being executed was exactly the same for both users, and did not involve calls to user-defined funcs.

We upgraded to 8.1.4 overnight, and I rewrote my code to use quote_literal() function, and that seems to have helped - at least results are now consistent across users. I still have no idea what was the cause, but it was definitely there....

Peter