Re: Is there anyway to... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From louis gonzales
Subject Re: Is there anyway to...
Date
Re: Is there anyway to...  (Glen Parker <glenebob@nwlink.com>)
Re: Is there anyway to...  (Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>)
List pgsql-general
To all who replied, first, thank you!  Second, I simply said 'dirty'
never said dislike or anything like that.  I've used and use cron for
different OS related operations and have for years.  I LOVE cron itself.

What I mean with 'dirty' is that I'm trying to take away as much as
possible from external influences to the database action I want to happen.

Fine so let's say when the instructor creates the user profile, this can
trigger the creation of a sequence, say, but IF the instructor doesn't
visit that student's profile for a month, I want something that,
independent of any other action, will be either incrementing or
decrementing that sequence.  So when the instructor does go back to
visit the student profile it will only show/flag the status if  the time
has elapsed.  Is there like a sleep() function that postgresql has?
That could be part of the plan.  So sleep(24hours) - pseudo code - wake
up and increment something initiate trigger to see if a requirement has
been met - say 10day or 30day or 1year has elapsed - if so, set a flag
attribute to the student profile.

During that 30 days, the instructor won't care what's going on behind
the scenes, they just care when the time has elapsed, that they will get
a flag, to say, "hey buddy, over here, this student hasn't fulfilled the
agreement."

Based on what everyone is saying, there is no such internal mechanism
function/trigger or otherwise, that can do independent actions.

--
Email:    louis.gonzales@linuxlouis.net
WebSite:  http://www.linuxlouis.net