Re: Is there anyway to... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From louis gonzales
Subject Re: Is there anyway to...
Date
Re: Is there anyway to...  (Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer@spamfence.net>)
Re: Is there anyway to...  ("Ian Harding" <iharding@destinydata.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hey Brian,
Yeah I had considered this, using cron, I just feel like that is too dirty.

Actually I didn't see Andreas' post, can someone forward that?

I'm running this application on Solaris 9.  Ultimately what I want to
know is, is there something that is internal to postgresql that can be
used that doesn't need external action, to make it do some task?

Some built in function that can be set to do some simple task on a daily
- or other time - interval, where all of the defined users may not have
any activity with the database for day's or week's at a time, but this
builtin function still operates?

Am I making any sense with how I'm asking this?  I could of course have
cron do a scheduled task of checking/incrementing/decrementing and
define triggers to occur when one of the cron delivered actions sets the
appropriate trigger off, but are there other methods that are standard
in the industry or are we stuck with this type of external influence?

Thanks all!

--
Email:    louis.gonzales@linuxlouis.net
WebSite:  http://www.linuxlouis.net